Is that I’m not one. Nor is anyone I know. But that aside…
The trouble with trying to be good is that you risk being elevated to the status of Do Gooder.
At first, when you do Good Deeds, people say things like ‘That’s so nice of you!’ and ‘X is such a GOOD person, I really admire him/her!’.
THEN they start to notice that X, like everyone else on the planet, has faults. DA DA!!!
‘I really admire X…but the other day I noticed him tucking one of the office highlighters into his bag. Do you think you can really be a Good Person and steal office supplies?’.
‘X thinks she’s so GOOD. She probably thinks she’s better than us. But I happen to know she once drowned a kitten. Oh she SAYS it was for its own good but..a bit of a hypocrite, don’t you think?’
It’s no use protesting that you never said you were GOOD, you’re just trying to be a little better. There isn’t a soapbox for that kind of thing. Setting yourself up as any kind of aspirant to goodness is an invitation to de-pedestalling, even if you didn’t want to be on a pedestal in the first place.
And after that, comes the dreaded ‘Bloody Do-Gooder!’.
- Don’t give money to the homeless, you’re only feeding their drug habit – they’ll die sooner because of you.
- Don’t donate to World Vision, they keep half the money for admin and the other half just encourages third world peasants to rely on handouts.
- Don’t feed needy dogs until every needy human has a full tummy.
- Don’t be aware of Kony, it’s racist and more importantly, deeply uncool.
The fact is that there is no cause without an anti-cause, often a very legitimate one.
That said, here are some bloggers who aspire to making the world a better place, and all power to them – the least you can say of trying to be good is that the results are usually better than if you tried to be bad.
- Musings and Observations by Vernon Caston. I’d read this blog just for the title – but he also has a very good post about one Tony Campolo, who throws a party for a weary and disheartened prostitute.
- Russell Ray Photos, who loves to go camping in people’s blogs but always cleans up his mess before he leaves.
- 365 Days of Goodness, a blog about Project Goodness. Well come on, it’s GOT to be better than Project Be Horrible to At Least One Person a Day.
And don’t worry, I haven’t reached Do Gooder status yet and nobody’s accused me of anything…but just in case, I’m just sayin…