‘So, TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF…….”
“Oh, when you were a child. Family, school, friends…right up to the present, really. Your whole life story? All about YOU.”
“You’re asking a professional egotist to tell you their Life Story? Have you ANY IDEA how dangerous that is? ”
No actually I didn’t say that to the nice ladies from Barnardos come to see if I’m a suitable person to be let loose on a child for two hours a week. Instead I told them –
- how I LOATHE and DESPISE drugs and alcohol
- how I BEAT Mr F (well, smacked, really) – and he jolly well deserved it.
- how I don’t think ‘gay’ is THAT bad as an insult used by Young People of Today (seeing as, to them, it has nothing to do with sexual orientation, any more than ‘lame’ has to do with being crippled).
- how I don’t really mind dirty clothes on kids (mine avoid clean clothes like dogs avoid bathtime)
- that I lose my temper BIG TIME if I get hit in the nose.
So I expect they’ll be allocating me a troubled kid shortly (if it’s not troubled before, it will be afterwards). Only joking!
In the interests of shining a little light (my Karmic blowtorch?) I’ve also joined three Meetup Groups – they’re these things where strangers go see movies and do stuff together.
It’s not that I don’t have enough friends….OH no!!!
….it’s just that I don’t have enough friends. How am I going to be extra nice to people if the only people I’ve got to be nice to are..Captain Savage, and the kids (god forbid!) and Mum!
Which brings me to Praise a Stranger week. It’s practice for mean, critical old me in actually appreciating people and showing it. And since I’ve already met lots of strangers – at my new workplace – here is a small sample.
Paul. You don’t read this blog and I hope you never will. You’re my boss, and I have to say you’re one of the kindest bosses I’ve ever had. You want to meet my kid! You ask me about my dogs. You don’t bat an eyelid when I ask for time off. You say I’m doing great. Your staff laugh and smile around you. You don’t ‘order’ people. You let people bring their kids to the office – you ENCOURAGE it. You know the cleaner’s name and exchange jokes with him. How do I show you how great I think you are without looking like an arse-licker?
Yes, it’s a genuine question from me to you. How is this appreciation thingummy actually DONE????